is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1851 Bagshaws History, Gazetteer
and Directory of Shropshire. This is quite extensive and covers the area
in greater detail than other directory's.
ERCALL HIGH, OR ERCALL MAGNA, is a considerable parish in the "Wellington
division of the South Bradford hundred, comprehending the townships of
Cold Hatton, Cotwall and Mooretown, Cruddington, Ellerdine, Ercall Magna,
Haughton, Isombridge, Osbaston, Poynton, Rowton, Sleap, Tern, and Walton,
together containing 11,152 acres of land, of which 179a. 3r. 24p. are
in woods, roads, and waste, and there are 39a. 1r. l1p. of glebe. The
parish in 1801 contained 1,091 inhabitants; 1831, 2,048, and in 1841 there
were 364 houses and a population of 1,999 souls. Rateable value, £14,140.
19s. 6 1/2d. The houses are in general built of brick, and slated; the
cottages are also of brick, and in many instances the occupants have A
small allotment of ground. The ancient residences of the gentry are in
most instances converted into farm dwellings; there are, however, many
neat villa residences in the modern style of architecture, of a respectable
character, surrounded with park like enclosures. The soil is chiefly a
mixture of sand and loam, and the land is mostly used for arable purposes,
in some instances large dairies of cheese are made, and the district is
celebrated for a fine breed of sheep. The land is chiefly tithes free,
the tithes on the rest of the parish were commuted in 1841 for £829.
15s. The village of High Ercall is pleasantly situated eight miles N.E.
from Shrewsbury and five and a half miles N.N.W. from Wellington. Here
are several good shops and respectable residences; the air is salubrious,
and the country around beautifully diversified with picturesque scenery.
The township contains 1,589a. 1r. 18p. of land, and in 1841 had 42 houses
and 213 inhabitants. Rateable value, £2,453. Few districts possess
so good a soil; the farms are extensive, and in most cases the land has
been greatly improved by superior cultivation, and removing the fences
and throwing the land into large enclosures. The Duke of Cleveland is
lord of the manor and owner of the whole township. The turnpike roads
to Newport, Shawbury, Wem, Whitchurch, Wellington, and Shrewsbury, intersect
the township. In the 51st of Henry III., John de Ercalewe had a grant
of a market here on a Monday, and a fair on the eve and the feast of the
nativity of the Virgin Mary and the day after.
THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Michael, an ancient structure, consists of
nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a massive square tower containing
six bells, and a clock. The side aisles are separated from the nave by
four pointed arches rising from circular pillars; the church is neatly
pewed with oak sittings, and the pulpit and reading desk are of carved
oak of the most elaborate workmanship. The chancel is lofty and contains
several mural monuments, one of which remembers Sarah, the wife of Edward
Steedman, and children, dated 1834 ; another remembers the Rev. Henry
Wood, who died in 1795; there are also tablets to Cecil Frederick Juckes,
the Rev. Lawrence Gardener, and a full length figure, which exhibits a
fine specimen of chiseling, near the north end of the church. In the church
yard are many monumental tombs of fine workmanship, to some of the principal
families resident in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage valued
in the king's book at £17. 6s. 8d., now returned at £290 in
the patronage of the Duke of Cleveland; incumbent, Rev. Robert Forester,
M.A., who resides at the vicarage, a good brick building a short distance
from the church. Near the west end of the church are the ruins of an ancient
structure, which was formerly moated. Sir Richard Newport, of High Ercall,
Knight, by letters patent, bearing date at Bridgenorth, 14th October,
18 th Charles I., was advanced to the dignity of baron of this realm,
by the title of Lord Newport, of High Ercall. That gentleman advanced
six thousand pounds for the king's use when at Shrewsbury, by which means
the artillery was put in a position to march against the parliamentary
forces, upon which followed the battle of Edge Hill. THE HALL, an ancient
residence with projecting gables, was built by Sir Francis Newport, Knight.
This house is said to have been garrisoned in the time of the civil wars.
In levelling a mound near it, Mr. Steedman's labourers discovered about
a thousand silver coins, the greater part of the reign of Charles I.,
some of Elizabeth, and others of the reign of Philip and Mary. The hall
is now in the occupancy of Edward Blakeway Steedman, Esq. ERCALL PARK
is a handsome structure, the residence of William Holt Midgley, Esq.;
it is built in the Elizabethan style of architecture, and beautified with
shrubberies and pleasure grounds tastefully laid out; the house is surrounded
by large enclosures containing some thriving plantations. SHERLOWE, the
residence of George Townsend Forester, is a modern structure built within
the last three years, with farm premises on a scale of considerable magnitude.
THE LODGE, another good residence of modern construction, is in the occupancy
of Mr. Thomas Jukes. The above houses have all very extensive out premises,
and all the modern appliances, with steam engines, for carrying out the
operations of extensive farms in the most economical manner.
THE FREE SCHOOL was founded by Thomas Leeke, one of the Barons of the
Court of Exchequer, in 1663. In January, 1810, the Attorney-General, at
the relation of Ralph Leeke, filed an information against Rann Dolphin
Edwards, and John Douglas, for the purpose of setting aside a lease which
had been granted in 1772 for a term of 99 years, at the yearly rent of
£30, and for obtaining the directions of the court as to the future
application of the rents. The master by his report, made 18th February,
1828, and subsequently confirmed by the court, ordered that the school
should be for teaching English, writing, and accounts free, and also Latin
and Greek when required; the master to charge a guinea a quarter and a
guinea entrance for the latter; that the schoolmaster's salary should
be £50 per annum, with liberty for the trustees to increase it at
their discretion; that no boys should be admitted until they are capable
of reading the New Testament; that any surplus which should arise from
the accumulations of rent during a vacancy, or from the annual income
not expended in the master's salary, or repairs, should be expended in
rewards to four or more of the scholars at the examination, or who should
be reported by the master to the trustees as deserving thereof, or in
providing a library of useful books for the school: that the trustees
should have power to displace the master in case of incapacity, immorality,
or neglect, and that the trustees should have power to make such orders
as they should think necessary for the better government of the school.
The master, in a report made June 3rd, 1828, found that the sum of £960
was due for rent up to Lady Day, 1828, out of which Mr. Edwards was entitled
to retain costs, leaving £831. 1s., from which £428. 2s. 8d.
was paid for the costs of the other parties, leaving £102. 18s.
4d., which was ordered to be divided proportionably between the representatives
of the two schoolmasters who had officiated between November, 1815, and
December, 1827. The charity estate is situated near Trefnanny, in the
parishes of Guilsfield and Myford, in the county of Montgomery, and produces
a yearly income of £93. Out of the income of the charity the master
receives a salary of £50, and he also receives £6. 13s. 4d.
per annum in respect of Stevinton's gift. The school is conducted according
to the scheme established by the Court of Chancery, except that the master
makes a charge of 10s. 6d. for the entrance of such boys as are not classical
scholars, which appears to be contrary to the directions of the court.
Richard Stevinton, by his will, in 1652, devised an annuity of
£6. 13s. 4d., payable out of lands at Arleston, to be applied towards
the maintenance of a schoolmaster of High Ercall, who should teach children
resident in the said parish without any reward from the parents of the
The Hospital consists of seven dwellings, and each inmate has
a room above and a room below, and a small garden annexed. The hospital
was founded by the Newport family. The building is kept in repair at the
expense of the Duke of Cleveland, from whose agent the inmates receive
£3 per quarter, with an additional payment of 21s. at Christmas,
and 5s. at Midsummer. The selection of these persons is not confined to
the parishioners or inhabitants of High Ercall, but are selected from
deserving objects residing in the neighbourhood, a preference being given
to those who have seen better days, and have been reduced by misfortune
Poors' Land. - There are two closes in the township of Eaton,
in the parish of Stoke upon-Trent, which have for a long period been let
from time to time by the churchwardens. The last lease was dated 29th
August, 1795, and it was therein recited that the then churchwardens of
High Ercall were lawfully seized of the premises, in trust to distribute
the rents among the poor of the parish of High Ercall, two shillings every
fortnight in bread, and the remainder in money on St. Thomas's-day. There
does not appear any documents in the parish to show from whom this land
was devised, or on what trust it is held. The two closes contain together
3a. 3r. 4p. of land, and are let at a yearly rental of £8. The amount
is given away on St. Thomas's-day.
Several sums of money, amounting in the whole to £199, left by eight
several donors, for the benefit of the poor of this parish, were for many
years placed out at interest on private security, and previous to the
year 1814 £40 of the above sum was lost. About that period the remainder
was called in, and with £20 advanced from the poor's rates, was
laid out in the purchase of certain premises for a parish workhouse. Since
1814 the sum of £8 has been paid out of the poor's rates as the
interest of this money, and distributed among poor persons in small sums,
seldom exceeding one shilling.
Thomas and Edward Thomas, each gave £100 in trust, to invest
the same for the benefit of the poor of the parish of High Ercall. These
donations were invested by the trustees in 1798 in the purchase of three
per cent, consols, which were increased in 1816 by the accumulation of
dividends to the sum of £500, when the stock was transferred to
John Colley and Edward Steedman. Of the sum of £193. 8s. 3d. received
in 1816 for the arrears of dividends, after payment of expenses of recovering
the same, and the purchase of the additional stock, there remained in
the hands of Mr. Colley the sum of £74. 6s. 1d., out of which he
disposed of £38. 15s. to different charitable purposes, and in 1830
when the charity commissioners published their report he had still £35.
11s. 1d. in his hands. The principal part of the dividends is now applied
in the purchase of bread, which is distributed among poor persons of the
parish, a preference being given to widows, the remainder of the dividends
is given among the necessitous poor in money.
Mr. Henry Harris is the registrar of births and deaths for the High Ercall
POST OFFICE - At Mr. Harris's. Letters arrive daily from Wellington by
a foot messenger at 945 A.M., and are despatched at 5. P.M:
Bates, Richard, shoemaker and gardener.
Blakeway, William, farmer and victualler, Cleveland Arms.
Clarke, Robert, farmer and maltster.
Dingle, Rev. John, schoolmaster and curate, of Upton.
Forester, George Townsend, Esq., Sherlowe
Forester, Rev. Robert Townsend, M.A., The Vicarage.
Harris, Henry, grocer, druggist, seed, corn, hop, iron and steel merchant,
guano and tillage dealer, cheese factor, and nail maker
Jebb, William, thrashing machine man.
Juckes, Mr. Thomas, The Lodge.
Large, Thomas, joiner and wheelwright.
Midgley, Mrs., Park House.
Midgley, William Holt, Esq., Ercall Park.
Pigott, Mr. John.
Powell, Thomas, farmer and corn miller.
Steedman, Edward Blakeway, Esq., The Hall.
Steedman, Mary, gentlewoman.
Taylor, William, blacksmith.
Vaughan, Elizabeth, tailor.
Wilding, Ann, gentlewoman.
COLD HATTON, a township and pleasant village four miles N.N. by E. from
High Ercall, is situated on a bold eminence, and commands extensive views
over a luxuriant country. The township contains 787a. 3r. of land, and
at the census of 1841 there were 51 houses and 253 inhabitants; the soil
is for the most part a mixture of loam and sand, producing good crops
of barley and turnips. There are 16a. 0r. 8p. in roads and waste. Rateable
value, £907. 6s. 2d. The tithes are commuted for £90, of which
£84 has been apportioned to the vicar of High Ercall, and £6
to the impropriator; the chief part of the large tithes have been purchased
by the owners of the soil. The Duke of Sutherland and the Duke of Cleveland
are the landowners.
The principal residents in this township are:
George Colley, tailor.
Robert Hick, farmer.
Richard Lewis, carpenter.
William Morgan, pig dealer and shopkeeper.
George Nicklin, boot and shoemaker.
John Nicklin, wheelwright.
William Pitchford, farmer.
George Ridgeway, blacksmith.
Joseph Shakeshaft, farmer.
William Shakeshaft, farmer.
John Webb, vict;, Seven Stars.
COTWALL AND MOORETOWN, is a township situated about a mile E. from High
Ercall, which contains 925a. 3r. 13p; of land, the whole of which is the
property of the Duke of Cleveland, who is also lord of the manor. At the
census of 1841 there were nine houses and 65 inhabitants. Rateable value,
£1,237. 1s. The land in this locality is pleasingly diversified
with undulations; the low lands produce a rich herbage, and the arable
lands produce fine crops of grain and turnips. The turnpike road from
Newport to Wellington intersects the township, and a small stream separates
Mooretown from the township of Rowton. The farm houses are well built,
provided with convenient and commodious out-premises, and the farms are
of considerable extent. The Cotwall farm, the residence of Mr. Richard
Juckes, is pleasantly situated on an eminence, and commands a fine view
of the country.
The principal residents are:
Thomas Allan, farmer, Mooretown.
Robert Atcherley, farmer, Mooretown.
Richard Juckes, farmer, Cotwall.
CRUDGINGTON is a township in the parish of Ercall, two and a half miles
E. from the parish church, and four miles N. from Wellington; In J841
here were 43 scattered houses and a population of 96 souls; this township
and the adjoining township of Sleap conjointly contain 1,480a. 1r. of
land; the soil is various, in some places a strong loam prevails, which
produces excellent crops of all kinds of grain, in other parts it is light
and sandy. Rateable value, £1,680. 2s. 8d. The Duke of Sutherland
is the sole landowner, in this and the adjoining township of Sleap, and
is also lord of the manor. SLEAP is a small township about the same distance
E. from High Ercall as Crudgington, which in 1841 had 17 houses and 85
inhabitants. The rateable value of this township is included in the returns
The following are the principal residents in Crudgington:
William Rider, farmer.
Thomas Lancelot Steward, farmer, The Leasows.
William Humphreys, blacksmith.
Charles Madeley, beerhouse keeper.
Mrs. Elizabeth Tudor.
The principal farmers in Sleap are:
Mrs. Prudence Davies.
ELLERDINE is a township with a scattered population, three miles northeast
from High Ercall. The air in this locality is salubrious, and the land
has a fine undulating surface, the high grounds of which command extensive
and interesting views of the surrounding country. The township contains
1,329a. 1r. 27p. of land, the soil of which in some places is a strong
clay, in other parts sandy, and some places has a fertile loam. The land
has been much improved by draining and superior cultivation. The farmers
in general are respectable, and hold considerable breadth of land. At
the census in 1841 there were 57 houses and 300 inhabitants. Rateable
value of the township, £1,384. 10s. 3 1/2d. The Duke of Cleveland
is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. The other freeholders
are the Rev. Henry Delves Broughton; Mr. George Adney; John Kilvert, Esq.;
John Taylor, Esq.; Mr. John Whitfield; and Mr. Harris. The tithes of this
township and that of Rowton are commuted for £376. 12s., of which
£165. 12s. has been apportioned to John Kilvert, Esq.; £146
to Jonathan Scarth, Esq.; and £65 to to the vicar of High Ercall.
OAK HOUSE, the residence and property of John Taylor, Esq., is a neat
modern structure of brick. The situation is delightful, and the grounds
are beautifully laid out The Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methodists
have each a small chapel here.
Butterey, William, shoemaker and shopkeeper.
Cliff, Thomas, Heath farm.
Cotterall, Elizabeth, farmer.
Cotterall, John, Newhouse farm.
Dickin, Mrs. Margaret.
Dickin, Thomas Adney, the Hall farm.
Foulkes, William., vict, the Oak.
Green, Elizabeth, farmer,
Green, John, farmer.
Hamer, William, Windy Oak farm.
Jones, William, gardener and seedsman.
Peplow, George, shoemaker.
Taylor, John, Esq., Oak House.
Wellings, William, clock and watch maker.
HOUGHTON, a small township four miles south-west from High Ercall, in
which parish it is situated, at the census of 1841 contained five houses
and twenty-three inhabitants. The township contains 376a. 2r. 8p. of land,
of which 5a. 2r. 27p. are in woods and waste. The soil is mostly strong,
with a clayey sub-soil, some parts of which have been much improved by
draining, and other parts are undergoing the same process. The Duke of
Cleveland is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. Mrs. Ann Corbet
is also a proprietor in the township. Rateable value, £260. 9s.
The tithes of Houghton, and those of the township of Poynton, were commuted
in 1841 for £82. 5s.
The resident farmers in Houghton are:
ISOMBRIDGE, a township and scattered village in the parish of High Ercall,
at the census of 1841 contained 38 houses and 94 inhabitants. The cottagers
in general hold a small portion of land, but the cottages in most instances
have a mean appearance, and are thatched. The township contains 567a.
1r. 37p. of land. The soil in some places is strong, and in other parts
a fertile loam prevails; the meadows produce a rich herbage, and are chiefly
used for pasturage. The township is intersected by the Shropshire union
canal, the river Tern, and the Wellington turnpike road. There are 11a
. 1r. 22p. in roads, water, and waste. The tithes have been commuted,
and £90 apportioned to the Duke of Cleveland, and £38 to the
vicar of High Ercall. The landowners are John Tayleur, Esq., Mr. John
Griffiths, and Mrs. Isabella Ickle. MARSH GREEN, and part of LONG WASTE
is partly in this township; at the former the PRIMITIVE METHODISTS have
a small brick chapel, built in 1841.
Richard Bevan, farmer, Mirelake.
Jeremiah Bromley, farmer.
Richard Edwards, gardener and seedsman, Marsh Geeen.
Harriet Dixon, farmer, the Marsh.
Joseph Nevola, beerhouse and shopkeeper, Marsh Green.
George Price, farmer.
John Tudor, vict, Tayleur's Arms, Long Green.
OSBASTON, OR ASBASTON township is situated about a mile northwest from
Ercall Magna, and in 1841 contained seven houses and fifty-seven inhabitants.
The houses are pleasantly situated on the turnpike road leading to Hodnet;
the farm houses are commodious, and provided with extensive and convenient
out-premises. The township contains 589a. 3r. 26p. of land, which is the
property of the Duke of Cleveland, who is also lord of the manor. Rateable
value, £705. 6s. 6d.
The chief residents in Osbaston are:
Thomas Bates, boot and shoemaker.
Sarah Brookes, farmer.
Mrs. Sarah Colley, the Hall.
John Colley, farmer.
POYNTON, another small township in the parish of High Ercall, with a
few scattered houses pleasantly situated on the turnpike road leading
to Shrewsbury, three miles south-west from the parish church, contains
587a. 3r. 9p. of land, principally a strong soil; some parts of the land
has been much improved by draining. Rateable value, £610. 4s. At
the census in 1841 there were 20 houses and 95 inhabitants. The tithes
of this township and that of Houghton are commuted for the sum of £82.
5s. The Duke of Cleveland and Mrs. Ann Corbet are the landowners: the
former is lord of the manor.
William Breeze, farmer.
Samuel Buttery, boot and shoemaker.
Robert Hamer, farmer.
Thomas Madeley, farmer.
Richard Morgan, farmer.
Eleanor Wainwright, farmer.
RODEN, a township and small village in the parish of High Ercall, pleasantly
situated on the banks of the river Roden, two miles S.W. from the parish
church; the township contains 1,351a. 2r. of land, of which 26 acres are
in woods and plantations, and 14 acres water, roads, and waste ; the soil
is variable, in some parts a cold clay prevails, and in other parts a
mixture of sand and loam. Rateable value, .£1,331. 12s. The Duke
of Cleveland and Charles Orlando C. Pemberton, Esq., are the landowners,
the latter is lord of the manor; John Tayleur, Esq., is the impropriator
of the rectoral tithes, which have been commuted. A modus of £3.
3s. is paid to the vicar of High Ercall. The Shrewsbury and Ercall turnpike
road passes through this township. At the census in 1841 Roden contained
33 houses and 161 inhabitants.
Joseph Beddow, beerhouse keeper and maltster.
John Birch, farmer, Bodenhurst.
Thomas Bourne, brickmaker.
John Evanson, maltster.
Edward Jones, farmer.
William Light, farmer.
Elizabeth Marshall, shopkeeper.
William Taylor, farmer.
Samuel Woodfin, farmer, New Farm.
Robert Yeomans, shopkeeper.
ROWTON, a township, chapelry, and pleasant village situated on high
ground, in a pleasant part of the country, two and a quarter miles N.E.
from High Ercall. The township contains 800a. 0r. 33p. of land, and in
1841 there were 26 houses and 181 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,118.
19s. 4d. There are some good farm houses in this township with commodious
outbuildings, and the farms are of considerable extent; cattle and sheep
are extensively fed in this locality. THE CHAPEL of EASE is a small unpresuming
edifice built of red free stone, and ornamented with a wooden turret;
the interior is neatly pewed, and there is a small gallery at the west
end ; the Rev. Mr. Robinson is the officiating minister. The tithes of
Rowton and those of the township of Ellerdine are commuted for £376.
12s. The Duke of Cleveland is the principal landowner and lord of the
manor; Mr. Adney, Mrs. Dickin, Mr. Thomas Nicklin, and John Whitfield,
Esq., are also proprietors.
The celebrated nonconformist divine, Richard Baxter, was born at Rowton,
November 12th, 1615. His father was an honest and religious man, in humble
circumstances, but a small freeholder; his estate, however, was very inconsiderable.
His son is said to have given strong indications of that piety and purity
which appeared in his subsequent life and conversation. He passed his
infancy at Rowton, under the roof of his grandfather, and in 1625, when
about ten years of age, was removed from Rowton to his father's house
at Eaton Constantine. He received the chief portion of his learning at
Ludlow, but had not the advantages of an academical education ; when at
school he had the use of an excellent library, which, by his great application,
proved of infinite service to him. His first engagements in life it appears
was teaching a free school at Newport, and he was afterwards appointed
master of the free school at Dudley, with an usher under him. While he
taught the school there he read several practical treatises, by which
he was brought to a deep sense of religion, and having an earnest desire
to engage in the ministry, he in 1638 addressed himself to Dr. Tharnborough,
bishop of Worcester, for holy orders, which, after examination, he received,
having at that time no scruples of conscience which hindered him from
conforming to the Church of England. He shortly after frequently preached
at Dudley, and the neighbouring villages, with great acceptance among
his hearers, but when the et ceatera oath came to be imposed, Mr. Baxter
applied himself diligently to study the case of episcopacy as in other
instances, the thing which was intended to fix him to the hierarchy, gave
him a dislike to it. In the year 1640 he accepted the invitation of the
bailiffs and feoffees of Kidderminster to preach there for an allowance
of £60 a year. In the memorable struggles of this period, he sided
with the parliament, and recommended the protestation they directed to
be taken by the people. This exposed him to some inconveniences which
obliged him for a time to retire to Gloucester, but he afterwards returned
to Kidderminster and resumed the work of the ministry. He hindered, as
far as it was in his power, the taking of the covenant, and preached
spoke publicly against it. When Cromwell assumed the supreme power he
was not afraid to express his dissatisfaction at his tyranny, and in
conference which he had with him afterwards, stated his views in terms
not to be misunderstood by the
Protector. After the restoration he became one of the king's chaplains
in ordinary, had frequent access to his royal person, and was always
by him with peculiar respect. At the Savoy conference Mr. Baxter assisted
as one of the commissioners, and then drew up the reformed liturgy, which
all allow to he an excellent performance. He was offered the bishopric
of Hereford by the Lord Chancellor Clarendon, which he refused to accept.
At this period he would gladly have returned to his beloved town of Kidderminster,
and have preached there, but this was refused him. When he found himself
thus disappointed, he preached occasionally about the city of London,
and afterwards returned to Acton, in Middlesex, where he went to church
every Lord's-day, and spent the rest of the day with his family and a
few poor neighbours, in explaining the Scriptures and prayer. His auditors
continued to increase, and shortly after, upon a warrant signed by two
justices, he was committed for six months to New Prison jail. After the
indulgence of 1072 he returned to London, and was one of the Tuesday
at Pinner's Hall. He had a Friday lecture at Fetter-lane, but only preached
occasionally on the Sunday. In 1682 he suffered severely on account of
his nonconformity. One day he was suddenly surprised by an officer, who
apprehended him upon a warrant to seize his person for coming within
miles of a corporate town; producing, at the same time, five more warrants
to distrain for £195 for five sermons. At this time he lay on a
sick bed, but he was dragged before five justices, and took his oath that
he could not go to prison without danger of death. But the officers executed
their warrants on the books and goods in the house, and even sold the
bed on which he lay sick. In 1684 he was bound in a penalty of £400
to keep the peace, by the justices of Middlesex, and in the year following
he was committed to the King's Bench prison, by a warrant from the Lord
Chief Justice Jefferies, for his paraphrase on the New Testament; the
trial took place on the 30th of May, when he was found guilty, and received
a severe sentence; In 1686 the king, by the mediation of Lord Powis, granted
him a pardon. After this he settled in Charter house yard, contenting
himself with the exercise of his ministry, as assistant to Mr. Silvester.
He died on the 8th of December, 1691, and was buried in Christ Church-
His remains were followed to the grave by a large concourse of people
of all ranks and qualities, who prudently paid this last tribute of respect
to a great and good man, whose labours deserved much from true Christians
of all denominations. Mr. Baxter was in several respects one of the most
eminent persons of his time; he preached more sermons, wrote more books,
and engaged in more controversies than any other nonconformist of his
age. He spoke, disputed, and wrote with ease, and discovered the same
intrepidity when he reproved Cromwell, and expostulated with Charles II.,
as when he preached to a congregation of mechanics. His works are extremely
voluminous, and they are still held in high estimation. An eminent divine
observes of them, that his practical writings were never mended, his controversial,
seldom refuted. The celebrated Doddridge, in a letter to a friend in 1723,
says, " Baxter is my particular favourite. It is impossible to tell
how much I am charmed with the devotion, good sense, and pathos, which
is every where to be found in him. I cannot forbear looking upon him as
one of the greatest orators, both with regard to copiousness, acuteness,
and energy that our nation hath produced."
Mrs. Elizabeth Adney, The Hall.
John Adney, farmer and grazier.
William Edwards, shopkeeper.
George Fowler, beerhouse keeper.
Charles Jukes, maltster and farmer.
Samuel Nicklin, boot and shoemaker.
Thomas 'Nic'kVin, wheelwright;
George Vickers, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker.
John Whitfield, Esq., The Villa farm, and chairman to the Wellington Poor
Law Board of Guardians.
TERN, OR TEARN , a small township in the parish of High Ercall, with
a few houses delightfully situated two miles S.E. from the parish church,
contains 487a. 8r. 13p. of land, of which four acres are in roads and
waste; the river Tern bounds the township on the S.E. At the census in
1841 there were seven houses and 41 inhabitants. Rateable value, £659.
18s. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor and owner of the land.
TERN HOUSE, a commodious brick residence, occupied by Thomas Juckes, Esq.,
is pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity near the stream of the Tern;
the views it commands of the surrounding country are extensive and pleasingly
diversified. The farm buildings are of considerable extent, and are provided
with all the modern appliances for farming extensively in the most economical
The principal residents are:
George Jukes, solicitor.
Thomas Juckes, Esq.
WALTON is a township and parish of High Ercall, situated in a delightful
part of the country, about a mile W. by N. from the church ; the township
contains 855a. 0r. 8p. of land, and in 1841 here were 23 houses and 135
inhabitants; the houses are for the most part scattered on the turnpike
road leading from Ercall to Shawbury, The farm houses are good residences,
occupied by respectable agriculturists. Rateable value of the township,
£969. 12s. The Duke of Cleveland is the proprietor of the whole
township and lord of the manor. WALTON HALL, a structure of considerable
antiquity, composed of timber and brick work, was a place of no mean pretensions
in by-gone days, is now occupied as a farm dwelling.
John Breeze, boot and shoemaker.
George Brookes, farmer.
William Hughes, tailor.
William Juckes, butcher.
William Rogers, shopkeeper.
Edward S. Webster, The Hall Farm.
Mrs. Jane Webster, The Hall.
James Wilding, farmer, New House.