A brief journey through time
This is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1870 Kelly's Directory. (Rowton Chapelry click here)
HIGH ERCALL is a large parish comprising the hamlets of Cold Hatton,
Cotwall, Moortown, Crudgington, Sleap, Slafford, Ellerdine, Haughton,
Isombridge, Osbaston, Poynton Roden, Rowton, Tern and Walton, 8 miles
from Shrewsbury, 6 from Wellington and 2 from Crudgington railway station,
in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of the South
Bradford hundred, Wellington union and county court district, rural deanery
of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church
of St Michael is a fine old building, with a lofty square tower and eight
bells: its date is about 1280: it was much injured in the Parliamentary
War, but was substantially repaired afterwards, and in 1864-5 it underwent
a thorough restoration under Mr Street, at a cost of about £1600,
and is now a handsome church. The church in the place of which the present
was built was dedicated to St Edward the confessor. The register dates
from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £526,
with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland K.G. and held the
Rev. George Bucknill, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford. A mission church
has been erected for the hamlets of Crudgington, Sleap, and Slafford.
Crudgington is now a station on the great Western branch line from Wellington
to Market Drayton. There is an endowed School for boys, the yearly income
is £90, and a separate school girls and infants. There is also an
hospital, founded by Francis, Earl of Bradford, for six aged men, with
an income of £64; the other charities amounted to £45 yearly.
The Duke of Cleveland, who is Lord of the Manor, the Duke of Sutherland,
J. Tayleur, Esq., and Patrick Hunter, Esq., are the principal landowners.
The soil is principally composed of loam and marl, and rests on the new
red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and artificial
grasses. The area of the parish is 11,799 and the population in 1861 was
1,969: gross estimated renta, £19,562; rateable value £17,944.
The hamlets of Cold Hatton, Ellerdine and Rowton form a distinct district
for each ecclesiastical purposes, with a chapel of ease.
CRUDGINGTON AND SLEAP
|28 Jun 09|