A brief journey through time
This is the extract for Rowton Chapelry from the 1891 Kelly's Directory.
Rowton is a township and ancient chapelry in the parish of High
Ercall, from which place it is 2 miles north-east, 6 north-west from
Wellington, 9 west from Newport, 10 north-east from Shrewsbury and 2
1/2 north-west from Crudgington Station on the Wellington and Market
Drayton branch of the Great Western Railway, in the Northern division
of the county, South Bradford hundred, Wellington union and County Court
district, petty sessional division of Wellington, rural deanery of Wrockwardine,
archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. Cold Hatton and Ellerdine
are attached to Rowton for ecclesiastical purposes. The chapel, rebuilt
in 1835, is a plain edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting
chancel, nave and a western turret containing one bell: it was
thoroughly restored in 1882 at a cost of about £450, defrayed by
public subscription. The register dates from the year 1840. The living
perpetual curacy, endowed by the last Duke of Cleveland K.G.
assisted by a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty,
net yearly value £87, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland K.G.
and held since 1890 by the Rev. Lyttleton Vernon Yonge B.A. of Trinity
who resides at Waters Upton. This was the birthplace, 12th November,
1615, of the celebrated nonconformist divine, Richard Baxter. The principal
landowners are The Duke of Cleveland K.G. who is Lord of the Manor
and Mr George Ore Hopkins. The
soil is of a mixed nature and good; subsoil, sand and clay.
The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 770
acres; the population is included in High Ercall.
|28 Jun 09|