A brief journey through time



The Place





The People






External Sites

Links Page

This is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1895 Kelly's Directory. (Rowton Chapelry click here)

HIGH ERCALL (or Ercall Magna) is a large parish comprising the hamlets of Cold Hatton, Cotwall, 1 mile East, Moortown, 1 1/2 miles North-East, Crudgington, 2 East, Sleap, 3 East, Slafford, Ellerdine, 3 North, Haughton, 3 West, Isombridge, Osbaston, 1 North-East, Poynton 2 West, Roden, 1 West, Rowton, Tern, 2 East and Walton 1 North. High Ercall is 7 1/2 miles North-East from Shrewsbury, 5 1/2 North West from Wellington and 2 1/2 West from Crudgington Station (in this parish) on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the great Western Railway and 151 from London, in the Northern division of the county. Wellington division of the South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. Under Local Government Board Orders dated March, 1884, detached parts of this parish were transferred to Kinnersley and Rodington, and a portion to Waters Upton was added to High Ercall. The church of St Michael, erected about 1080 , but was enlarged about two centuries later. Its original dedication was to St Edward the confessor. The building is of stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel with chapel on the north side, nave, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: it was much injured in the Civil War, but was substantially repaired afterwards, and in 1864-5 it was restored under the direction of the late G.E. Street esq. R.A. at a cost of about £1,600, the register's date from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £330, net yearly value £380, including 30 acres of Glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lord Barnard. A mission church of brick was erected in 1863, at a cost of about £500, for the hamlets of Crudgington, Sleap, and Slafford: it has a western turret containing one bell, and affords 100 sittings. Here is a hospital, founded by Francis, Earl of Bradford, for six aged persons and supported by Lord Barnard: the other charities amount to £26. 16s. 8d. yearly, arising from Thomas's bequest, being the interest on £484. 12s. 3d.: Roddenhurst’s, the interest on £85, and the Poor’s Land of 3a. 3r. 4p. which is let for £8 yearly. A grammar school was founded here in 1663 by Thomas Leeke, but since 1887 the funds have been too low to admit of it is being carried on. Lord Barnard, who is lord of the manor, the Duke of Sutherland, John Taylor esq. of Buntingsdale, Market Drayton and George Lewes esq. of Market Drayton are the landowners. The soil is principally composed of loam and marl, and rests on the new red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and artificial grasses. The area of the parish is 11,347 acres of land and 45 of water; rateable value, £16,606; the population in 1891 was 1,597. The hamlets of cold Hatton, Ellerdine and Rowton form a distinct district for each ecclesiastical purposes, called Rowton, under which head they will be found.
Parish Clerk, James Lockley.
Post, M. O. & T. O. S. B. Express delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Hugh Parry, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Wellington, at 8 a.m. box cleared at 5:20 p.m. ; dispatched at 5:30 p.m.
Post Office, Crudgington. John Roster, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7 a.m; despatched at 5:35 p.m. High Ercall is the nearest money order office. The telegraph office is at the railway station.
A School Board of 5 members was formed, 3 Nov 1875; J. Jones, Wellington, clerk to the board; Francis Owen, Cotwall, attendance officer.
Board (mixed), Crudgington, built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance, 50; John Davies, master.
Board (mixed), High Ercall, built 1860, for 160 children: average attendance, 106: Ebenezer Pitchford, master.
Railway station, Crudgington, Sarah Harris, stationmaster.

Mappleton, Rev. Reginald B.A. (curate), Old Vicarage.
Steedman, The Miss, The Grove.Topham, Richard, Ercall park.
Turner, William.The Elms.
Delves,William, Tayleur Arms P.H. and farmer, Long Waste.
Evans, George Treyer & Price Allen, farmers, Shirlowe.
Hampton, George, Miller (water) & farmer, Ercall Mill.
Hughes, John, Cleveland Arms P.H.
Lilleshall Co Limited, coal wharf (John Arnold, manager), Long Waste.
Parry, Hugh, general dealer & seed merchant, Post Office.
Ridgway, William, blacksmith.
Steedman, Catherine, (Mrs), farmer The Hall.
Topham, Richard, farmer, Ercall park’

Jones, Thomas, farmer, Cotwall farm.
Owen, Frederick, carpenter & Joiner.
Owen, John Francis, grocer &pro.dlr.

Bromley, Thomas, farmer.
Hampton, Robert Colley, farmer.

Cornes, Joseph, farmer, Sleap.
Madeley, Thomas, bricklayer.
Major, Edgar, farmer, Sleap.
Minshull, George, farmer.
Proudley, Edward, carpenter.
Rider, William, farmer, Crudgington.
Rushton, James, farmer & blacksmith.
Shakeshaft, John, coal, corn & cake merchant, & agent for (Hadfield & Co. Liverpool) guaranteed manures, Crudgington station.

Everall, John, farmer.

Bromley, Samuel & Vincent, farmers.
Dixon, William, farmer.
Sale, Jabez, market gardener.

Brookes, (Mrs), farmer.
Colley, Benjamin, farmer.

Breeze, John, surveyor of roads.
Buttery, Samuel, boot & shoe maker.
Humphreys, William, horse breaker.
Llewellyn, Richard, farmer.
Morgan, John, farmer.

Payne, Alfred Ernest, M.A., J.P. Roden Hall.
Brisbourne, Peter, farmer.
Bullock, Richard, blacksmith.
Gregory, Thomas, farmer, Redhouse.
Morris, John, farmer.

Juckes, Thomas George, farmer.

Brookes, Margaret (Miss), farmer.
Hughes, Robert, Tailor & draper.
Kemp, Joseph Hayward, farmer.
Pooler, Robert Corden, farmer

Other Information
Councillor: John Instone, Bolas House, Great Bolas, Salop.

   28 Jun 09

Home Page | Quick Index | Contact me | Credits