A brief journey through time



The Place





The People






External Sites

Links Page

This is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1900 Kelly's Directory.

HIGH ERCALL (or Ercall Magna) is a large parish comprising the hamlets of Cold Hatton, Cotwall, 1 mile East, Moortown, 1 1/2 miles North-East, Crudgington, 2 East, Sleap, 3 East, Slafford, Ellerdine, 3 North, Haughton, 3 West, Isombridge, Osbaston, 1 North-East, Poynton 2 West, Roden, 1 West, Rowton, Tern, 2 East and Walton 1 North. High Ercall is 7 1/2 miles North-East from Shrewsbury, 5 1/2 North West from Wellington and 2 1/2 West from Crudgington Station (in this parish) on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the great Western Railway and 151 from London, in the Northern division of the county. Wellington division of the South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. Under Local Government Board Orders dated March, 1884, detached parts of this parish were transferred to Kinnersley and Rodington, and a portion to Waters Upton was added to High Ercall. The church of St Michael, erected about 1080 , but was enlarged about two centuries later. Its original dedication was to St Edward the confessor. The building is of stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel with chapel on the north side, nave, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: it was much injured in the Civil War, but was substantially repaired afterwards, and in 1864-5 it was restored under the direction of the late G.E. Street esq. R.A. at a cost of about £1,600, and affords 350 sittings. The register's date from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, net value £300, including 30 acres of Glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lord Barnard, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Selwyn Charles Freer M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. A mission church of brick was erected in 1863, at a cost of about £500, for the hamlets of Crudgington, Sleap, and Slafford: it has a western turret containing one bell, and affords 100 sittings. Here is a hospital, founded by Francis, Earl of Bradford, for six aged persons and supported by Lord Barnard: the other charities amount to £26. 16s. 8d. yearly, arising from Thomas's bequest, being the interest on £484. 12s. 3d.: Roddenhurst’s, the interest on £85, and the Poor’s Land of 3a. 3r. 4p. which is let for £8 yearly. A grammar school was founded here in 1663 by Thomas Leeke, but since 1887 the funds have been too low to admit of it is being carried on. Lord Barnard, who is lord of the manor, the Duke of Sutherland, John Tayleur esq. of Buntingsdale, Market Drayton and Co-operative Wholesale Society, limited, Manchester are the landowners. The soil is principally composed of loam and marl, and rests on the new red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and artificial grasses. The area of the parish is 11,347 acres of land and 45 of water; rateable value, £16,441; the population in 1891 was 1,597. The hamlets of cold Hatton, Ellerdine and Rowton form a distinct district for each ecclesiastical purposes, called Rowton, under which head they will be found.
Parish Clerk, James Lockley.
Post Office, M. O., T. O., T. M. O., express delivery, parcel post, S. B. & annuity & insurance office-Hugh Parry, sub postmaster. Letters arrive through Wellington at 8 a.m.; box cleared at 5:20 p.m.; dispatched at 5:30 p.m.
Post Office, Crudgington. John Roster, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 6:40 a.m; despatched at 6:5 p.m. postal orders are issued here but not paid. High Ercall is the nearest money order office. The telegraph office is at the railway station.
A School Board of 5 members was formed, 3 Nov 1875; J. Jones, Wellington, clerk to the board; T Addison, attendance officer.
Board (mixed), Crudgington, built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance, 50; John Davies, master.
Board (mixed), High Ercall, built 1860, for 120 children: average attendance, 110: Ebenezer Pitchford, master.
Railway station, Crudgington, Saml Harris, stationmaster.

Freer, Rev. Selwyn Chas. M.A. Vicarage.
Pascal, Thomas S.
Steedman, Miss, The Grove.
Topham, Richard, Ercall Park.
Delves,William, Tayleur Arms P.H. and farmer, Long Waste.
Evans, George Trever & Price Allen, farmers, Shirlowe.
James-Moore, Jas. H. Farmer, The Hall.
Lloyd, Geo. Miller (water) & farmer, Ercall Mill.
Parry, Hugh, general dealer & seed merchant, Post Office.
Ridgway, William, blacksmith.
Smith, Exon , Cleveland Arms P.H.
Topham, Richard, farmer, Ercall park.

Jones, Thomas, farmer, Cotwall farm.
Owen, Frederick, carpenter & Joiner.
Owen, John Francis, grocer & pro.dlr.

Bromley, Thomas, farmer.
Hampton, Robert Colley, farmer.

Major, Margaret (Mrs), farmer, Sleap.
Lea, Thomas, Farmer.
Middleton, James, Frmr & blacksmith.
Minshull, George, farmer.
Percival, Herbt. France frmr, Sleap
Proudley, Edward, carpenter.

Everall, John, farmer.

Bromley, Samuel & Vincent, farmers.
Dixon, William, farmer.

Casewell, Thomas K. farmer.
Colley, Sarah (Mrs), farmer.

Breeze, John, surveyor of roads.
Buttery, Richd, boot & shoe maker.
Humphreys, William, horse breaker.
Llewellyn, Richard (Mrs),farmer.
Morgan, John, farmer.

Brisbourne, Peter, farmer.
Bullock, Richard, blacksmith.
Gregory, Thomas, farmer, Red house.
Morris, John, farmer.

Juckes, Thomas George, farmer.

Allcock, Morris John, farmer.
Brookes, Margaret (Miss), farmer.
Hughes, Robert, Tailor & draper.
Kemp, Joseph Hayward, farmer.

   01 Jan 09

Home Page | Quick Index | Contact me | Credits