A brief journey through time



The Place





The People






External Sites

Links Page

This is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1909 Kelly's Directory. (Rowton Chapelry click here)

HIGH ERCALL (or Ercall Magna) is a large parish comprising the hamlets of Cold Hatton, Cotwall, 1 mile East, Moortown, 1 1/2 miles North-East, Crudgington, 3 miles East, Sleap, 3 East, Slafford, Ellerdine, 3 North, Haughton, 3 West, Isombridge, 3 South, Osbaston, 1 North-East, Poynton 2 West, Roden, 1 West, Rowton, Tern, 2 East and Walton 1 North. High Ercall is 7 1/2 miles North-East from Shrewsbury. 5 1/2 North West from Wellington and 2 1/2 West from Crudgington Station (in this parish) on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the great Western Railway and 151 from London, in the Northern division of the county. Wellington division of the South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. Under Local Government Board Orders dated March, 1884, detatched parts of this parish were transferred to Kinnersley and Rodington, and a portion of Waters Upton was added to High Ercall. The church of St Michael's dates from 1080, but was enlarged about two centuries later. Its original dedication was to St Edward the confessor. The building is of stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel with chapel on the north side, nave, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: it was much injured in the Civil War, but was substantially repaired afterwards, and in 1864-5 it was restored under the direction of G.E. Street Esq. R.A. at a cost of about £1600 and affords 350 sittings. The register's date from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with 30 acres of Glebe and residence, in the gift of Lord Barnard, and held since 1900 by the Rev. William Henry Philpott, Assoc. of Kings College, London. A mission church of brick was erected in 1863, at a cost of about £500, for the hamlets of Crudgington, Sleap, and Slafford: it has a western turret containing one bell, and affords 100 sittings. There is also a Wesleyan chapel at Crudgington, built in 1902, and seating about 100. Here is a hospital, founded in 1694 by Francis, Earl of Bradford, for six aged persons and supported by Lord Barnard: the other charities amount to £26. 16s. 8d. yearly, arising from Thomas's bequest, being the interest on £484. 12s. 3d.: Roddenhurst’s, the interest on £85, and the Poor’s Land of 3a. 3r. 4p. which is let for £8 yearly. A grammar school was founded here in 1663 by Thomas Leeke, but since 1887 the funds have been too low to admit of it is being carried on, and they are used to provide scholarships. Lord Barnard who is lord of the manor, the Duke of Sutherland K.G., John Tayleur esq. of Buntingsdale hall, Market Drayton and the Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd, Manchester, are the landowners: the latter has a large fruit farm at Roden and a convalescent home adjoining. The soil is principally composed of loam and marl, and rests on the new red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and artificial grasses. The area of the parish is 11,347 acres of land and 45 of water; rateable value, £17,006; the population in 1901 was 1,506 in the civil, and 1,604 in the ecclesiastical Parish. The hamlets of cold Hatton, Ellerdine and Rowton form a distinct district for each ecclesiastical purposes, called Rowton under which head they will be found.
Parish Clerk, James Lockley.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, High Ercall. William H. Cotterill, sub postmaster. Letters through Wellington, at 7:10 a.m. and 2:55 p.m.: box cleared at 3:35 and 6:15 p.m.; no Sunday Post.
Post Office, Crudgington. John Roster, sub postmaster. Letters through Wellington at 6:45 a.m. and 2:10 p.m.: despatched at 4 and 6:20 p.m.; no Sunday Post. Waters Upton is the nearest money order and High Ercall, 3 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office for delivery, but there is a telegraph office at the railway station for collection only, which is closed on Sundays.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Roden. Miss A.M. Ridgway sub postmistress. Letters arrive from Wellington, at 7:35 a.m.; dispatched at 3:20 p.m.; no Sunday delivery.
Public elementary schools.
Crudgington, (mixed), built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance 50: Edgar Percy Davies, master.
High Ercall (mixed), built in 1860, for 160 children: average attendance, 115: Ebenezer Pitchford master.
Railway station, Crudgington, Samuel Harris, station master.

Brookes, Mrs, The Grove.
Pascall, Thomas Davies, The Elms.
Philpott, Rev. William Henry, Assoc. K.C.L. (Vicar), Vicarage.
Shaw, Thomas, Shirlowe.
Topham, Richard, Ercall Park.
Cotterill, William H, grocer, Post Office.
Delves, William, Tayleur Arms P.H. and farmer, Long Waste.
Ridgway, Edward, blacksmith.
Shaw, Thomas, farmer, Shirlowe.
Smith, Exton, Cleveland Arms P.H.
Topham, Richard, farmer, Ercall Park.

Jones, Sydney, farmer, Cotwall farm.
Owen, Fredrick, carpenter and joiner.

Bromley, Thomas, farmer.
Hampton, Robert Colley, farmer.

Boulton A and Co., coal merchants (J. Shakeshaft, agent), railway station.
Cheetam, John, farmer, Sleap.
Lea, Thomas, farmer.
Lilleshall Co. Ltd coal merchants (J. Birch, agent), railway station.
Major, Margaret (Mrs.), farmer, Sleap.
Middleton, James, farmer.
Minshull, Georgr, farmer.
Newport and district agricultural trading Society, Railway station.
Proudley, Edward, carpenter.
Roster, John, shopkeeper, Post Office.

Balmer, M, (Mrs), farmer.
Woolrich, John, farmer.

Bromley, Samuel, farmer.
Ward, Frederick, farmer.

Casewell, Thomas K, farmer.
Colley, Sarah (Mrs.), farmer.

Buttery, Richard & son, boot and shoe makers.
Hulme, John, farmer.
Humphreys, William, horse breaker.
Morgan, John, farmer.
Pratt, William Robert, farmer.

Brisbourne, Peter, farmer.
Bullock, Richard, blacksmith.
Gregory, Thomas, farmer, Red house.
Manchester Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd. (John William Nowell, manager), fruit growers.
Manchester Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd. Convalescent house (Miss M. J. Twigg, matron).
Shrewsbury Co-operative Society (No 2) (branch),grocers.

Juckes, Thomas George, farmer.

Allcock, Morris John, farmer.
Hughes, Robert, Tailor.
Kemp, Joseph Hayward, farmer.
Nicklin, Arthur B. farmer.

Other Information
Councillor: Richard Taylor J.P. Sidney House, Kinnersley, Wellington.

   28 Jun 09

Home Page | Quick Index | Contact me | Credits