A brief journey through time
This is the extract for Rowton Chapelry from the 1922 Kelly's Directory.
Rowton is a township and ancient chapelry in the civil parish of High
Ercall, from which place it is 2 miles north-east, 6 north-west from
Wellington, 9 west from Newport, 10 north-east from Shrewsbury and 2
1/2 north-west from Crudgington Station on the Wellington and Market
Drayton branch of the Great Western Railway, in the Wrekin division of
the county, South Bradford hundred, Wellington union and County Court
district, petty sessional division of Wellington, rural deanery of Wrockwardine,
archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. Cold Hatton and Ellerdine
are attached to Rowton for ecclesiastical purposes. Rowton was formed
into an ecclesiastical parish in 1850. The chapel, rebuilt in 1835,
is a plain edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of
chancel, nave and a western turret containing one bell; it was
thoroughly restored in 1882 at a cost of about £450, defrayed by
public subscription. The register dates from the year 1840. The living
perpetual curacy, endowed by the last Duke of Cleveland K.G. assisted
by grants from Queen Anne's Bounty and the ecclesiastical Commissioners,
net yearly value £200, in the gift of Lord Barnard, and held since
1920 by the Rev. John Phillips L.Th. of Durham University. At Cold Hatton
is a primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1871, and a Wesleyan Chapel
at Ellerdine. This was the birthplace, 12th November, 1615, of the celebrated
nonconformist divine, Richard Baxter. The principal landowners Lord Barnard
M.C. and George Ore Hopkins Esq. and there are various small owners.
The soil is of a mixed nature and good; subsoil, sand and clay.
The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,960
acres; the population in 1911 was 598.
|27 Jun 09|