A brief journey through time
This is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1941 Kelly's Directory.
HIGH ERCALL (or Ercall Magna) is a large parish comprising the hamlets
of Cold Hatton, Cotwall, 1 mile East, Moortown, 1 1/2 miles North-East,
Crudgington, 3 miles East, Sleap, 3 East, Slafford, Ellerdine, 3 North,
Haughton, 3 West, Isombridge, 3 South, Osbaston, 1 North-East, Poynton,
2 West,Roden, 1 West, Rowton, Tern, 2 East, and Walton 1 North. High Ercall
is 7 1/2 miles North-East from Shrewsbury. 5 1/2 North West from Wellington
and 2 1/2 West from Crudgington Station (in this parish) on the Wellington
and Market Drayton branch of the great Western Railway and 151 from London,
in the Wrekin division of the county. Wellington division of the South
Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, rural district
and county court district, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry
of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St Michael's dates from
1080, but was enlarged about two centuries later. Its original dedication
was to St Edward the confessor. The building is of stone in the early
English style, consisting of chancel with chapel on the north side, nave,
south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing a clock and
8 bells: it was much injured in the Civil War, but was substantially repaired
afterwards, and in 1864-5 it was restored under the direction of G.E.
Street Esq. R.A. at a cost of about £1600 and affords 350 sittings.
The register's date from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, net
yearly value £350, with 30 acres of Glebe and residence, in the
gift of Lord Barnard C.M.G., M.C., T.D. and held since 1940 by the Rev.
William George Beale B.A. of London University and Queens College, Birmingham.
The mission church of brick was erected in 1863, at a cost of about £500,
for the hamlets of Crudgington, Sleap, and Slafford: it has a western
turret containing one bell, and affords 100 sittings. There is also a
Methodist chapel at Crudgington, built in 1902, and seating about 100.
There is a hospital, founded in 1694 by Francis, Earl of Bradford, for
six aged persons; the other charities amounted to £26. 16s. 8d.
yearly, arising from Thomas's bequest, being the interest on £484.
12s. 3d.: Roddenhurst’s, the interest on £85, and the Poors
Land of 3a. 3r. 4p. which is let for £8 yearly. The grammar school
was founded here in 1663 by Thomas Leeke, but since 1887 the funds have
been too low to admit of it is being carried on, and they are used to
provide scholarships. Lord Barnard C.M.G., M.C., T.D. is lord of the manor:
the Manchester Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd. and the farmers are
the principal landowners; the former have a large fruit farm at Roden
and a convalescent home adjoining. The soil is principally composed of
loam and marl, and rests on the new red sandstone. The chief crops are
wheat, barley, turnips and decorative grasses. The area of the parish
is 11,404 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 1,667
in the civil, and of the ecclesiastical Parish (which comprises parts
of high Ercall and Rodington civil parishes), 1,226.
CRUDGINGTON AND SLEAP
|01 Jan 09|