A brief journey through time



The Place





The People






External Sites

Links Page

This is the extract for Ercall Magna from the 1891 Kelly's Directory. (Rowton Chapelry click here)

HIGH ERCALL (or Ercall Magna) is a large parish comprising the hamlets of Cold Hatton, Cotwall, 1 mile East, Moortown, 1 1/2 miles North-East, Crudgington, 2 East, Sleap, 3 East, Slafford, Ellerdine, 3 North, Haughton, 3 West, Isombridge, Osbaston, 1 North-East, Poynton 2 West, Roden, 1 West, Rowton, Tern, 2 East and Walton 1 North. High Ercall is 7 1/2 miles North-East from Shrewsbury, 5 1/2 North West from Wellington and 2 1/2 West from Crudgington Station (in this parish) on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the great Western Railway and 151 from London, in the Northern division of the county. Wellington division of the South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St Michael, erected about 1280, in place of an earlier church dedicated to St Edward the confessor, is a building of stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel with chapel on the north side, nave, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: it was much injured in the Civil War, but was substantially repaired afterwards, and in 1864-5 it was restored under the direction of the late G.E. Street Esq. R.A. at a cost of about £1600, the register's date from the year 1585 and from 1653 includes burials from Rodington and Waters Upton. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent - charge £368, net yearly value £400, including 30 acres of Glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland K.G. and held since 1890 by the Rev. Gilbert Holles Farrer Vane M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. A mission church of brick was erected in 1863, at a cost of about £500, for the hamlets of Crudgington, Sleap, and Slafford: it has a western turret containing one bell, and affords 100 sittings. Here is a hospital, founded by Francis, Earl of Bradford, for six aged persons and supported by the Duke of Cleveland K.G.: the other charities amount to £30 yearly, arising from Thomas's bequest, being the interest on £484. 12s. 3d.: Rhodenhurst’s, the interest on £85, and the Poor’s Land of 3a. 3r. 4p. which is let for £8 yearly. A grammar school was founded here in 1663 by Thomas Leeke, but since 1887 the funds have been too low to admit of it is being carried on, the Duke of Cleveland K.G. who is lord of the manor, the Duke of Sutherland K.G., John Taylor esq. D.R. . J.P. of Buntingdale, Market Drayton and George Lewis esq. of Ercall farm are the landowners. The soil is principally composed of loam and marl, and rests on the new red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and artificial grasses. The area of the parish is 11,933 acres of land and 55 of water; rateable value, £16,618; the population in 1881 was 1,803. The hamlets of cold Hatton, Ellerdine and Rowton form a distinct district for each ecclesiastical purposes, called Rowton, under which head they will be found.
Parish Clerk, William Lockley.
Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Hugh Parry, postmaster. Letters arrive through Wellington, at 8 a.m. box closes at 5:30 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is Crudgington railway station.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; J. Jones, Wellington, clerk to the board; William A.R. Ball, Waters Upton, attendance officer.
Schools: -
Board (mixed), Crudgington, built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance, 53; John Davies, master.
Board (mixed), High Ercall, built 1860, for 120 children: average attendance, 90: David Christmas Mathias, master.
Railway station, Crudgington, Jas Purcell, stationmaster.

Lewis, George, Ercall Park.
Steedman, The Misses, The Grove.
Tetlow, Rev. Henry Parkes (curate).
Turner, William.
Vane, Rev. Gilbert Holles Farrer M.A., Vicarage.
Delves, Ann (Mrs), Tayleur Arms P.H., Long Waste.
Evans, George Treyer & Price Allen, farmers, Shirlowe.
Hampton, George, Miller (water) & farmer, Ercall Mill.
Lilleshall Co Limited, coal wharf (John Arnold, manager), Long Waste.
Lewis, George, farmer, Ercall Park.
Lockley, (Mrs), blacksmith, Long Waste.
Owen, Frederick, Joiner.
Parry, Hugh, general dealer & seed merchant, Post Office.
Ridgway, William, blacksmith.
Steedman, Catherine, (Mrs), farmer The Hall.
Tart, William, brick maker, Long Waste.
Wheeler, Sarah, (Mrs), Cleveland Arms P.H.

Jones, Thomas, farmer.

Bromley, Thomas, farmer.
Hampton, Robert Colley, farmer.

Cornes, Joseph, farmer, Sleap.
Madeley, Thomas, bricklayer.
Major, Edgar, farmer, Sleap.
Minshull, George, farmer.
Proudley, Edward, carpenter.
Rider, William, farmer, Crudgington.
Rushton, James, farmer & blacksmith.
Shakeshaft, John, coal, corn & cake merchant, & agent for (Hadfield & Co. Liverpool) guaranteed manures, Crudgington station.

Everall, John, farmer.
Haynes, Jesse, farmer.

Bromley, Jeremiah, (Mrs), farmer.
Dixon, William, farmer.
Lee, Thomas, market gardener.

Brookes, John, farmer.
Colley, Benjamin, farmer.

Breeze, John, surveyor of roads
Buttery, Samuel, boot & shoe maker.
Humphreys, William, horse breaker.
Llewellyn, Richard, farmer.
Morgan, John, farmer.

Payne, Alfred Ernest, J.P. The Hall.
Brisbourne, Peter, farmer.
Bullock, Jane (Mrs), blacksmith.
Gregory, Thomas, farmer, Red house.
Morris, John, farmer.
Phillips, Abal, farm bailiff to George Lewis esq.

Juckes, Thomas, farmer.

Brookes, Margaret (Miss), farmer.
Hughes, William, tailor.
Juckes, William, (Mrs), shopkeeper.
Kemp, Joseph Hayward, farmer.
Pooler, Robert Corden, farmer

Other Information
Councillor: John Instone, Bolas House, Great Bolas, Wellington.

   28 Jun 09

Home Page | Quick Index | Contact me | Credits